Have you ever deleted an Instagram direct message and later regretted it? The good news is that you can retrieve these messages. Instagram’s process for recovering deleted messages is relatively straightforward, even if it doesn’t make it obvious outwardly.
If you want to recover your deleted Instagram messages, keep reading. Here are some quick and easy ways to retrieve your DMs.
Recover Deleted Instagram Messages using Instagram Data
You might want to retrieve your DMs at some point, whether you want to keep things tidy and clean up frequently or accidentally delete them. Using Instagram data is one way to do this.
Instagram’s servers retain your deleted messages after you delete them from your iOS or Android device. “Instagram Data” allows you to download videos, photos, and messages stored on Instagram. The deleted messages can then be extracted from this data.
You must follow these steps on Instagram’s web page, as the mobile apps do not allow this. Now let’s get started:
- Log into your Instagram account if you haven’t already by opening the Instagram website in your browser.
- Choose “Profile” from the menu when you right-click your “Profile icon” in the top-right corner of the screen.
- The “Edit Profile” button will appear.
- On the left side of the screen, select “Privacy and Security.”.
- Locate the “Data Download” section in the menu. You can request a download by clicking on the “Request Download” link beneath this header.
- Select your download format (“HTML” or “JSON”) and enter your “email address” in the text box.
- By entering your password and clicking “Request Download,” you will verify your identity.
- Instagram then sends you a link to the requested data files.
- Find the message from Instagram with the subject, “Your Instagram information.” Click on the “Download information” button.
- To download your data, click the link to return to Instagram. Click “Log In” after entering your “login credentials.”
- You are directed to a page that gives you a link to download your data. You can download information by clicking “Download information.”
- The downloaded folder should be unzipped.
- Go to “messages -> inbox -> [named folder]” and select the “messages html file.” For the JSON option, skip to Step 15.
- By opening the file, all messages stored on Instagram servers should be displayed in HTML format.
- The JSON option requires you to open the file named “messages.json” with a text editor – you can right-click and choose “Open With…” or “Edit With…”
- JSON formatted messages are now displayed in the opened file.
The zipped download now includes all your Instagram messages in the “messages” folder.
With this method, there are a few things to keep in mind. When Instagram sends your data via email, it can take up to 48 hours. If the email does not arrive in your inbox immediately, don’t worry. The link sent to you in the email expires four days after you receive it. The link won’t work if you click it after four days, so you’ll need to repeat the steps.
Using a Third-Party App
Finally, you can recover deleted Instagram messages using a third-party app. The apps are available in the App Store (for iOS users) and the Google Play Store (for Android users).
To retrieve deleted data and messages, these tools access the cache files on your iOS or Android device. You can recover more than just texts and DMs with the software. Recovering deleted information is easy and quick with these apps, which come with easy-to-follow instructions.
The popular iPhone app “U.Fone” can also be used to recover lost data on Macs and Windows PCs. With this tool, you can retrieve lost Instagram DMs as well as text messages, photos, videos, Whatsapp data, call history, contacts, and audio files.
“FoneLab” or similar software can be used by Android users. Data such as messages, photos, videos, audio files, contacts, and even Whatsapp data can be recovered with Fonelab. You can easily recover your information using the software, which is quick and easy to install. In addition to iOS recovery software, FoneLab also offers data backup and restore options.
It is always a good idea to research the programs you plan to use before using them, such as the ones mentioned above. There are many advertised options that are scams. These apps allow hackers to access your personal information and social media profiles. These scams often involve online Instagram recovery tools. It is far safer to download software like those previously suggested.
Once you know how to do it, recovering deleted Instagram messages is easy. You can easily retrieve your data by following the steps outlined in this article. If you use Instagram Data or a third-party app, gaining your deleted DMs won’t take long.
FAQs: Recovering Deleted Instagram Messages
You may not see certain DMs when downloading your Instagram data if you unsent them. Your data download may not include them if you deleted them from the platform.
I’m afraid not. There are only posts, stories, and reels in your “Recently Deleted” folder.